THINK:

terça-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2010

Impulse purcharse of the day, dead Amiga 500 : (

I saw this boxed Amiga in a local flea market for 50 dollars. Before anyone else saw it I immediately purchased the thing without asking any question to the seller.

While I was driving home I started to think about what I did, first thing that popped in my head was that that I never saw one floppy in the package. It was a problem but I could call a favor to a friend and have at least workbench so I could start somewhere.



At home I opened everything, it even had a A501 ram expander clock board in the expansion port, it was tightly secured to the connector but sweet.

I don´t have any CGA monitor here so I connected the amiga to a TV, knowing that I would only get black and white image.

It wouldn´t even boot and since it´s b/w I only got a dark gray, light gray screen without the floppy image, no power led, just the caps lock would blink once and work for some time.

First I thought that it was a power brick problem since it was more or less working. I tested each lead and got the corresponding 5V, 12 and -12V signals up.

I flipped the amiga to open it, this unit was factory sealed still.

After removing the shield I noticed some corrosion coming from the A501. A battery leak unfortunately. Lucky it´s a sub board so even if I removed it the machine would still work.





Booted it again and got the same results as previosly.

I started to re-seat all socketed chips, one of CIA chips was hot. I presume it´s dead and the culprit of all problems. I traded places with the other CIA chip the see what would happen.

I booted it the last time, screen was the same but this time I got the power led to come up.

Now I need to buy a CIA chip to replace the dead one and hope this is the only thing that is preventing this machine from booting.

a link to my photo album with more pics:

http://my.opera.com/metallizer1/albums/show.dml?id=5510102

Buying nonworking things sucks.

metallizer out.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário