THINK:

terça-feira, 1 de junho de 2010

Turning an Opticom Airlan 811 wireless router into a Siemens Gigaset SE505 v3

Many moons ago I bought this Airlan 811 wireless router, to be used as a bridge for my WLAN connection into vintage computers.

I never got it´s bridge settings to work so I tried to use one of open firmwares only to make the router dead. I opened the thing and it uses a 2x2mb serial flash for firmware storage. This is a very unusual setting so none of the alternatives firmwares around will play with this router.

I went back to manufacturer´s website to find that the stock firmware is not available for download which got me stuck with a dead router.

I googled over the router main chipsets (BCM4712 and 5325E Broadcom) and after thousands of pcbs shots I finally found a match, Siemens Gigaset SE505 v3 uses the exact same pcb.

So all you have to do is tftp the latest revision of SE505 firmware, 3.02.03 now (scroll to the bottom of siemens download page) and it will be alive again, Siemens firmware is much more polished than opticom´s. The only shortcoming is that siemens router uses a different led for wlan activity. WLAN works but there will be no indicator led for it.

till next time,
metallizer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, 6th December 2010

I started a opera photo album so I´m going to comment on pics of both boards in case there are different revisions of the Airlan 811 PCB.

Siemens Gigaset SE505 V3:



Airlan 811 PCB:



Notices how the WLAN LED activity is in another position here, this is the only change from both boards, everything else is a match. Including being serial flash devices.

Photo album linky:

http://my.opera.com/metallizer1/albums/show.dml?id=5511272

later,

met0

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário